Tropical Pancakes with a Twist.

 As some of you may already know, today is Shrove Tuesday, or in other words – Pancake Day.  Basically, Pancake Day is the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. For anyone who wants to learn more about Shrove Tuesday, then you can read about it here. For anyone else who just came here for the recipe, continue reading...

Growing up I was never a big pancake eater, it just wasn't a ‘thing’ in our house, but every now and again I would envision a big plate of Pancakes stacked high, with lots of maple syrup and butter streaming from every angle – that’s when I wished that Pancakes were a ‘thing’ in my house. So last year I took it upon my young self to learn how to make these little round, pillows of deliciousness, and I have been experimenting and perfecting them ever since. Today however was no different and as it is Pancake Day, it was only appropriate to make Pancakes,  and so I did – Mango and Coconut Pancakes to be precise with a Lime Syrup drizzled all over them –I bet your salivating just picturing them aren't you? – I know I am, and I just ate 5 of these tropical gems for Breakfast.
I'm not just saying it because I made these pancakes but they are by far the best one’s I have ever made - and I've made some delicious pancakes over the last few months, but these one’s are something else, and the idea all started with a rotting Mango – OK, so it wasn't rotting but it was pretty much in the last days of its life - which makes it perfect for naturally sweetening pancakes.

Like most of my pancake recipes I was excited to wake this morning and get cracking with these pancakes because I believed they were going to taste amazing, and they didn't disappoint. These were citrusy and coconutty, and absolute perfection on a plate,  I didn't want them to end – yeah that kind of good, and the best part about them – they were easy to make, had few ingredients and were still low carb enough to enjoy on a Keto lifestyle – 2.5g carbs per pancake (minus the syrup) Perfect.

Tropical Pancakes, with a Twist

They look simple but their packed with flavour from the Coconut, Mango and the Lime Syrup. 


Inside the Tropical Pancakes

Yield – 7-8 Pancakes.
Ingredients -Pancakes
  • 65g Mango
  • 2 Free-Range Eggs
  • 20g Coconut Flour
  • 35ml Coconut Milk ( I used the cream because I couldn't find the milk in the can and I was too impatient to remove all the cream)
  • 15g Desiccated Coconut
  • Himalayan Salt
  • Coconut Oil

Lime Syrup
  • 2 tbsp Water
  •  Juice from half a Lime. ( You can use a whole Lime if you want a stronger taste)
  •   Zest of Half a Lime
  •   15ml - 100% Maple Syrup – I use Buckwud (You could use Honey instead of MS)
  •    1 tbsp Mango Juice

Instructions

  • Beat the eggs in a bowl, with the salt until their frothy
  • Add in the coconut flour and mix until all lumps are gone and the pancake batter is completely smooth.
  • Remove mango from the skin, place in a bowl with a little water and then into the microwave until its softened
  • Mix the mango and its juice through the pancake mixture
  •  Add in the desiccated coconut (Leave enough for garnish).
  •  Add in the coconut cream and combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
  • By this point the pancake batter will look really runny so leave it stand for 10 minutes to thicken
  • When the batter is standing you can now make the syrup

NB: There are two ways in which you can make the syrup - by using a saucepan and reduce it or use a microwave – I took the easy method and opted for the microwave.
This Lime Syrup isn't like normal syrup, it seeps straight through the pancakes and flavours the mango pancakes with lime - Seriously amazing.

  • Cut some slices off your lime for garnish and then cut the Lime in half.
  • Zest the lime and squeeze every last drop of juice from it into a bowl.
  • Add the maple syrup to the bowl and also the juice from any mango skins you have laying around (waste not want not) then add the water.
  • Place the syrup in either a saucepan and reduce it down until it’s the consistency you want, or place in the microwave.
Pancakes 
  • Melt the coconut oil in a heated, non-stick frying pan
  • Slowly add the pancake batter (You can cook one at a time, or a few at a time) 
  • Cook the pancakes until their golden on each side and then plate them up
  • Drizzle with the syrup and garnish with the desiccated coconut and sliced Lime


Serve and Enjoy!
Macros


Macro for 1 Individual Pancake
Macro for 1 15ml Lime Syrup


xoxo

Ketostyle 

No comments:

Post a Comment