Melt in Your Mouth - Aubergine Parmigiana

One of the recipes that I am most proud of making throughout this fat fast was this delicious Aubergine Parmigiana – I have made this recipe a dozen times but it has never tasted as good, as it did last night – when I was starving. The recipe came out at 5g of Carbs which was perfect for my fat fast, and it was also the lowest carb that I have ever made it – it was also super low calorie coming out at a surprising – 274 Calories. I will say that I was so hungry that I couldn’t enjoy it to its fullest potential, but it was still melt in your mouth good.

Melt in your Mouth -- Aubergine Parmigiana
An Aubergine Parmigiana is an Italian vegetarian dish –also known as Aubergine Melanzane, or, Melanzane alla Parmigiana – and it’s basically shallow frying the aubergine in oil, or butter and then baking it with layered Parmesan and tomato sauce. As I was sticking to 1000 calories I skipped the shallow frying part and just went straight to baking it, but I would usually fry the Aubergine in butter – but be warned this vegetable sucks up oil like a thirsty camel – so be prepared to use A LOT of oil.
I first started making this at the start of my Keto journey and I have been obsessed with it ever since – literally I have it once, sometimes twice a week – I love it – however, it usually adds up to over 600 calories a serving – now you can see why I’m proud of this recipe. The Aubergine Parmigiana is relatively easy to prepare, but does require nearly an hour of cooking – so it’s best to start this an hour before your ready to eat.

Yield 1 Serving
Ingredients
  • 110g – Aubergine
  • 65g – Passata
  • 55g – Parmesan Reggiano
  • 75g – Spinach
  • 1 tsp – Basil
  • 1 – Garlic Clove
  • Himalayan Salt 

Instructions
  • Slice the aubergine into thin slices – not too thin about 1cm thick
  • Place the slices on a chopping board, or plate and cover with Himalayan Salt, and place another plate, or board on top – This will draw out any excess moisture and prevent the Aubergine from being bitter – Leave the Aubergine for about 20 minutes
  • Wash all the Salt off the Aubergine and dry them with a lint free tea towel, or some kitchen paper.
  • Place a few slices at the bottom of an ovenproof dish, with some Spinach and then cover with some Parmesan Reggiano – Continue this step until you have no ingredients left, but save some Parmesan for the top.
  • Mix the Basil and Garlic with the Pasatta Sauce and pour over the top of the Aubergine – You can also make your own tomato sauce if you preferred – but I find there is nothing wrong with carton Pasatta if it’s purely tomatoes and no other nasty ingredients.
  • Finish the dish with the rest of the Parmesan and cover with tin foil.
  • Place in the oven for 45-60 minutes – at a temperature of 180°c – Check the dish every so often as the tomato sauce can dry up and burn – if this happens turn the oven down and increase the length of time for the Aubergine Parmigiana to cook. 
Serve with a small salad, or vegetables. 


KetoStyle


No comments:

Post a Comment