Ain't No Mountain High Enough....

Pen- y- Fan 
As I mentioned in my previous post I have been pretty much bedridden for the majority of this week, due to an overwhelming urge to climb the highest mountain in South Wales –Pen y-Fan Mountain –situated in the Brecon Beacons. For the last couple of years it would seem that hiking to the top of this mountain and having your photo taken next to a stone situated at the apex, is the ‘in’ thing to do at the moment – and I was probably one of few people I knew that had yet attempted it – until this Wednesday that was when I finally had someone to come along with me – my sister.

My sister, like most of South Wales and further – probably a slight exaggeration – had also climbed this mountain before me – actually it was her climbing it last year that made me want to see what all the fuss was about, so last Wednesday I got my chance and I was super excited about it. Before the big hike I kept getting asked by my dear sister which route I would like to take – ‘easy, or hard?’ she kept asking – as this was my first time – and definitely my last – I naturally said the hard route- why didn't she warn me how hard this route actually was.

 Come Wednesday morning I was all set; the weather was perfect,  I had my food pre-packed, my water, my camera, I had eaten some oats,  and I was raring to go – I could hardly contain my excitement to start this walk, like a little child on Christmas morning. When we first headed out and towards Brecon there were a few delays along the way and it was almost like we were not meant to climb Pen-y-Fan that day, but we persisted and finally made it to the start of the hike at 11.30am – a little later than we had originally planned but you can’t help road works.

There was a lot of mist when we first arrived, which prevented us from seeing the mountain we would be climbing – a good thing otherwise I probably would have got back in that car and demanded to be taken home. We weren’t even five minutes into the hike and I was struggling for breath, the lactic acid was building up quicker than an erupting volcano, and I was regretting my decision to ever climb the bloody mountain, but I continued upwards, every step getting harder to take.
<<<The photo is proof that I hadn't walked far to be that out of breath - as much as I hate to admit it - I guess I'm just that unfit. Pretty though - wouldn't you agree? 

Afternoon had come and gone and my heart rate monitor was signalling to me that I was pretty much dying, with a heart rate reading of nearly 200 – I was in absolute agony; my muscles were screaming at me, both my groins were in serious pain which made every step that bit more unbearable, I was boiling hot and we were still a long way off from reaching the summit – however, too far in to the hike to turn around.  I probably moaned the entire hike – actually scratch that – I did moan the entire hike, and stopped more times for a breather than I ever thought I would, but I was not letting this mountain beat me – especially as I was seeing people old enough to be my grandparents coming up and down this mountain – I was reaching the top and having my photo with that damn rock if it were the last thing I did – and it did feel like it would be the last thing I may do.

The Long Road Ahead 

Finally we made it to the top and all I felt was sheer elation – I’d done it, I’d climbed the highest point in Wales - before realising that we were close, but we hadn't made it just yet – that the summit was still 10-15 minutes away, and it was still all up hill. We rested for 5 and took a few photos of the surroundings, before tackling the final hill of the day.
Where I Had Just Walked From
Not Far Now
It was a breathtaking view from the top – I could hardly believe what I was seeing. There was a 360° view of beauty – I’d never seen anything quite like it. The best part of the hike – other than the views – nothing could beat that - was seeing the people we had passed along the way, and have them all say to me – ‘ so you did make it then’  - Yes I did!! – I felt like screaming.

After everything I have been through over the last couple of years; with my weight gain, health issues, and some other stuff I felt so proud to be standing on top of that mountain looking at how far I had come – physically, emotionally, and metaphorically - after pushing through all my pain and self-doubt – it was the best feeling in the world and probably one I won’t forget in a hurry – I still have the aches to remind me.

Corn Ddu
It took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to the summit – which I thought was pretty good considering how many times I had to stop along the way, and it took all of 50 minutes to get back down. Will I do it again? I’m still debating that;  my whole body feels like it’s been hit by a bus, the aches are excruciating but after looking over the photos that I snapped I think it was all worth it, and when I lose a bit more weight and get fitter, who knows, maybe I’ll find another mountain to climb! Hmm....

xoxo

KetoStyle

No comments:

Post a Comment