Day 1: Fat Fast

Today was the very first day of attempting a fat fast and I must say it went better than I anticipated – although food was the only thing on my mind for the entire day, and I did feel very deprived -- which is how I guess you’re supposed to feel on a 1000 calories a day -- For those who are unfamiliar with a fat fast you can read my last post and the reasons behind this madness - here

What is a fat fast?
A fat fast is exactly that -- a fast with the main source of food being fat -- sounds disgusting right? It's really not that bad I promise.  Basically, a fat fast is 1000 calories a day for 3-5 days, while keeping your carbs and protein as low as possible.

Why do people do it? 
Some people do a fat fast because its a guaranteed way of losing weight if you have been stuck at a plateau for a month, or longer. Others -- like myself -- do it purely to get back into Ketosis quicker after a carb refeed. The fat fast isn't for everyone though and it is a pretty harsh way to go about losing a few pounds, but it does work -- although I have heard that people put it all back on when they start eating their normal diet again -- so I'm not entirely sure if it's worth it -- I guess I'll find out Monday.

So how did my first day on the fat fast really go?

Before I started my fat fast and to be sure I was ready to get back into Ketosis --and stay in it for the foreseeable future, I needed to make sure that all the food cravings were out of my system, so on Thursday I gave up the calorie counting for the day and ate whatever I felt like – and eat is exactly what I did. I scoffed near half a box of Guylian Beligian chocolates – which I’d received as a gift for Christmas – I had no regrets other than I ate them too quickly, and boy did I enjoy them – then to finish off my day I had Fish and Chips – which again I thoroughly enjoyed and had no regrets about eating – I had been dreaming about these fish and chips for months so it was like a party in my mouth when I finally got to eat them. 

Fish and Chips

The best looking food in the whole wide world -- that's what I think anyway -- man I wish I was eating that plate of starchy, high carb deliciousness again. 
Today I woke up feeling pretty mundane knowing what was ahead of me – barely any food – so I weighed and had gained only 1lb after all this high carb malarkey – I was very pleased, as I thought it would have been a lot more – my metabolism is obviously starting to work again. Next I took a few photos of my bloated stomach and was shocked by the outcome – why do carbs hate me so much? I then proceeded to dream about food and what I would eat for the day.

Here is my meal plan – apparently it is best to split your calories into 250 for each meal – including snacks, but I would rather not eat at all than have to have nibbles of food every so often – so I kept my meals high calorie and stocked up on water and caffeine in between meals – and it seemed to work – although I still could only think about food.

Total Calories – 1097

Breakfast – Coffee with 4 tablespoons of Double Cream – 210 Calories

Lunch – Tuna Salad with a handful of lettuce leaves – 188 Calories

Dinner – 3 Egg Spinach and Cheddar Omelette, with Chipotle Sauce and 1 Slice of Quorn Ham – 471 Calories

Snack – x2  Keto Bounty – 222 Calories


Tuna Salad
I weighed out everything meticulously for this Tuna salad and made sure everything was under 0.5g of carbs by tracking on myfitnesspal. The fat fast is most definitely not for everyone and you do need a lot of determination and willpower in order to get the outcome your after -- whether, or not it will be worth all this hassle I guess I'll find out Monday. 

By the end of the first day of the fat fast -- my macros were; 

Carbs - 1%
Fat - 81%
Protein - 18%

Which I think is the best you can get – and even better for a first day on the fat fast. The only time of the day when I really struggled with the fat fast and the inability to eat what I wanted was at night time – I'm a night owl and I only seem to be able to sleep at a stupid time of the morning – so I had another square of the Keto Bounty-- which I made on Thursday and then stocked up on some more water.

So that’s day one of my fat fast – 1 day down – another 2 to go.

xoxo

KetoStyle

No comments:

Post a Comment