Breakfast is Served....Homemade Chocolate Granola

I used to eat breakfast religiously when I first started losing weight last year, but since starting Keto, my ability to wake up in time for Breakfast has dwindled and trying to think of a low carb Breakfast that doesn't consist of eggs is difficult. This morning I woke at 9am - a decent time for me, and by 10am I was starting to get hungry - like I said I don't usually have Breakfast so I had no idea what to make, and eggs were a no go because I plan on making a Crustless Vegetable Quiche later on this evening, so I pondered for some time and then took to the iPad app ' Ketodiet Basic App' - I mentioned this in a previous post for the Fatbombs - I scrolled through their Breakfast recipes idly not expecting to find anything pescatarian/vegetarian friendly when I came across the 'Homemade Chocolate Granola' recipe. I scoured through the ingredients and instructions wondering whether it was simple enough to make at 10 in the morning, but since I had the majority of the ingredients I decided to make the Chocolate Granola - so off to the kitchen I toddled with my iPad in hand and started bringing this recipe to life. 

Homemade Chocolate Granola

Now I have never tried Granola before, not Keto Granola, or any other type of Granola, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect as an end result, which is why I was so dubious about making it - I'm British and we hate throwing away food and wasting money - However, I will say that the Chocolate Granola was not bad. I mean it wasn't awesome - I must make some more next week awesome, but it was edible and that was good enough for me. It also smelled pretty damn incredible when it was cooking - yes you have to bake it for 20-25 minutes, so you need to own an oven - I used my Halogen Wave Oven, as it was easier and more convenient than pulling all the tins and trays out of the of the conventional oven - Don't you just hate that? 
By using the Halogen oven I did need to bake the Granola in two separate batches because this does make ALOT of Granola, but that was easily done while I was enjoying my nice, fresh bowl of Chocolate Granola with Almond Milk. 
You do need quite a bit of ingredients for this recipe - mostly nuts, which meant that I had to substitute some of the ingredients and fiddle with the cup measurements  - I hate cups - which could be the reason why the first batch of Chocolate Granola turned out dry. However, I think the lack of wet ingredients is what made the first batch dry, but more on that later. 

Now for the the recipe

Yield - 6 Servings

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Desiccated Coconut 
  • 1 Cup Chopped Mixed Nuts - These substituted the 1/2 cup of Pecans and Walnuts, which the recipe required.
  • 1/2 Cup Almonds - I used sliced almonds and a few whole, which I chopped in the blender. 
  • 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder - I used Green & Blacks Organic cocoa powder
  • 2 Scoops of Chocolate or plain Protein Powder. 
  • 1/4 Cup Organic Coconut Oil 
  • 1 Large Egg White. 
  • Sweetener - You really will need this - I forgot to add it. 
  • 1/4 Tsp Himalayan Salt
Ingredients 
  • Measure out all the dry ingredients and add to a large mixing bowl.
  • Melt the coconut oil if it’s too hard and separate the yolk from the egg white. 
  • (You can save the egg yolk for your Bulletproof Coffee, or some Homemade Mayonnaise)
  • Mix all the ingredients and make sure everything is combined thoroughly. (If the mixture still looks dry - which mine did - add some water, or more coconut oil, or egg white - I added some water and the 2nd batch was perfect)
  • Spread on to a greaseproof baking tray and  bake for 20-25mins at 300°F 150°C

You can serve this with any cream of your choice, milk, or almond milk. 

Macro 
Macro for 1 Cup Serving

Enjoy

xoxo

KetoStyle

No comments:

Post a Comment