Homemade Broccoli & Cheddar Soup, with Mozzarella Crisps.

Growing up as child I was never one for soup. Whether it came out of a tin, or was freshly made by my mother, or grandmother,  I hated it. There was just something about the way the vegetables, or meat, floated in the bowl, and the texture was just horrific. It just didn't appeal to me and I wanted nothing to do with the stuff. 

 I had this vendetta against soup for most of my life, and I would turn my nose up at it whenever I was confronted with a bowl of the vile combination, of un-pureed vegetables. Until I started the keto diet. Now, as most of you know, coming up with different meal ideas on a keto diet is not easy, and its even harder for someone like myself who doesn't eat meat - well land animals.
 I mean the keto diet's main point is to burn pure fat. for energy, which results in weightloss. And to burn fat, you need to eat a lot of fat and very little sugar, or carbs.  Whether that's from eating eggs and bacon every day, that's up to you. Personally, I like to eat a variety of different meals and textures to keep my tastebuds and sanity. Which always has me thinking about food and new meal ideas. That's when I thought of soup. You can make soup with as much fat, or as you little as you like. Takeaway the starchy vegetables and you have yourself a perfect, low carb meal. 

It wasn't easy turning to soup for a meal idea - it was my childhood food fear after all, so the recipe needed to be perfect, and to make it edible for myself, it needed to be smooth. I thought about my favourite vegetables and then eliminated most of them - I just wasn't that adventurous for Brussels sprouts, or spinach in a soup, and then I chose Broccoli. It's perfect with most dishes and even better with cheddar. I took to the internet to find how to even make soup and found this recipe and then adapted it all to my own taste. I'll like to add that like most pinterest recipes, mine turned out NOTHING like the one in the link. Just see for yourself.

Homemade Broccoli & Cheddar Soup, with Mozzarella Crisps. 

 Doesn't look very appetising huh? I promise you, it was. 

Trust me!

Ingredients  - Serves 2
  • 400g Broccoli 
  • Half a White Onion 
  • 1 Clove of Garlic 
  • Fresh Thyme 
  • Low Sodium Stock Cube - I used Vegetable, but any flavour will work.
  • 60g Full Fat Mild, or Mature Cheddar 
  • 20g Parmesan
  • 20g Grated Mozzarella.
  • Butter 
  • 1 Cup of Double Cream 
  • Tabasco - As much as you like 
  • Himalayan Salt 
  • Fresh Ground Pepper 
Instructions 
  • Toss the broccoli, thyme, salt, and stock cube in a saucepan with 3 cups of water and boil until broccoli is soft. 
  • When the broccoli is cooking chop and peel the garlic and onion and place in a frying pan with the butter. Fry the onions until they are soft and slightly brown. 
  • Wait until the broccoli is cooled and then add to a blender with the cheddar cheese, parmesan and double cream. 
  • Blend until all the soup is smooth, or how you like it and then return to the saucepan to warm, on a low heat.
  • Now that the soup is done and re-heating you can make the mozzarella crisps. You can either do these in a microwave, or oven.
  • Place the grated mozzarella in separate heaps on a microwavable plate, or a tray with greaseproof paper. 
  • Pop in the oven, or microwave for a few minutes until the cheese is golden brown. It's as simple as that. 

Now all you have to do is serve and garnish with the crisps, or use them to dip in to your soup. 

Enjoy!


Macro's 


Macro for 1 Serving of the Soup. Half of the Recipe




xoxo

KetoStyle 


No comments:

Post a Comment