Creamy Leek Soup.

Another soup recipe? I know I shocked myself too. Would you believe me if I told you that I'm getting slightly obsessed with the watery slop? Even now I'm thinking of another soup I can make, but soup is fitting for this awful weather we have been having lately, here in the UK. Rain, cold and more rain, makes me want to snuggle up under a thick duvet and stuff my face with lots of gooey cheese and pizza. Mmm....Pizza 
Instead, I went for the next best thing to help warm my cockles. Soup! Considering I had a soup phobia growing up I think I'm doing quite well, as this is the third soup recipe I have tried in the last 2 months, and I am loving all the experimenting and different flavours, that I wouldn't usually try. - Leeks being one of those flavours. Like soup I avoided the vegetable like the plague and I'm not even sure why. Maybe it’s because every time I think of Leeks I think of those smelly vegetables attached to little boy’s waistcoats on St David's Day, and that day is associated with some sort of Welsh stew - Cawl, which stinks! Anyway, back to today's soup.
This soup was amazing and I'm not just saying that because I made it, it truly was amazing. A creamy bowl of deliciousness and I never thought I would ever say that about a bowl of soup. Just take a look at this...
Creamy Leek Soup

Doesn't it just make you want to reach for a spoon and dig in? I still have some leftover for tomorrow's Lunch too and I may actually make it again towards the end of the week. Yes, it really was that good!

Those little beauties balancing precariously on the bowls edge are Cheddar & Mozzarella Crisps, another favourite among the Keto community. I will be showing you how to make those too. They're pretty simple and delicious. 
Also, as you can see from the image I caved on a buttered piece of organic sunflower seed bread which I bought from Holland & Barrett's last week. I will say that I have missed bread whilst cutting out grains and starches - as I am only human, and I thought as sunflower seeds are considered healthy fats that I would try some - not expecting to like the stuff. Well the verdict is that it was pretty darn amazing and only £1.99 - which was on offer.  I can say that I will definitely be buying more when I run out - which probably won't be for a very long time as 1 slice has about 34 of carbs -  I was shocked too, as I totally forgot to check out the carbs before I bought it, and that is why I only had half a piece when I could have easily have devoured the whole slice. It would make a nice treat though for days where you have the carbs to spare. 

Homemade Cheddar & Mozzarella Crisps

It's as easy as that. I used 25g of both grated Cheddar and Mozzarella,  placed on some greaseproof paper and then  popped into the halogen oven (or you can use a microwave) cook until the cheese turns golden. A little side note, these will be flexible when their cooked so you can bend them over your bowl to dip into your soup. Exactly what I did :) 

Ingredients 
  • 100g Leek 
  • 50g White Onion
  • 40g Double Cream
  • 40g Cheddar 
  • 20g Unsalted Butter. 
  • Half, or a whole low sodium stock cube. ( I used half a Knorr vegetable cube)
  • 3 Cups of Water 
  • Clove or Garlic. 
  • Thyme - ( I used lemon thyme, as well as plain thyme, and it really added some subtle flavour to the soup)
  • Himalayan Salt 
  • Fresh ground pepper. 

Yields - 4

Instructions 
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan.
  • Chop and peel the onions and garlic, then add them to your saucepan
  • When the onion has nearly softened, you can add in the leeks and sauté until everything is reduced and soft.
  • Next add the thyme, stock cube and water, and bring the pan to the boil, then simmer for 30-40mins. 
  • When the soup has cooked let it sit and cool before adding it to a blender. (You can blend until it’s smooth, or still chunky. I was adventurous today and went with some chunks). 
  • Put the soup back in the saucepan and re-heat
  • Add the cream. When the soup has heated to your liking remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cheese. (Adding the cheese while the pan is still on the heat will result in stringy cheese, and we don't want that in our soup. 
  • Season with salt and pepper, a little thyme and cheese if you like and you’re done. 


Serve Immediately and Enjoy.


Nutrition
1 Serving of Soup
2 Servings of Homemade Cheese Crisps.


xoxo

Ketostyle



No comments:

Post a Comment