Chicken & Leek Pie, with Colcannon Mash

At last I have something other than pancakes and bread to post about -yay!  I made this a while ago but I never got around to posting the recipe for it, which was disappointing since I really enjoyed this pie. However, when I think of a pie I think of a pastry crusted case, holding some sort of delicious filling, but obviously being on low carb/keto I can't eat those sorts of food so I had to improvise yet again. I decided to take a simple pie filling  and topped it with cauliflower mash - almost like a shepherds pie but vegetarian and it was 'chicken and leek'. Again, this recipe is vegetarian and so it is higher carb than an actual chicken version would be but its easily changed.

When I made this recipe I was going through the ketoflu - definitely not fun - but I heard eating sodium and potassium help with this issue, as low carb is a natural diuretic so your continuously passing these minerals through your urine which means you need to add them back - Bouillon can help with this as its high in sodium, although I chose to have the reduced salt as I find this is still too salty for me and then I used it in this dish,which definitely added flavour to the meal. 

Chicken & Leek Pie, with Colcannon Cauliflower Mash
Yield 1-2 Servings
Ingredients for the Pie Filling 
  • 100g Quorn Chicken - or Diced Chicken 
  • 100g - Leek 
  • 15g - Bouillon Powder
  • 15g- Butter 
  • 60ml - Double Cream 
  • Ghee

Ingredients for the Colcannon Cauliflower Mash
  • 300g - Cauliflower 
  • Garlic 
  • 2 Spring Onion 
  • Parmesan 
  • Himalayan Salt 
Instructions 
  • Fry the leeks in a non stick frying pan with the ghee and chicken until everything is cooked. 
  • In a saucepan boil the cauliflower with the salt.
  • Remove the filling ingredients from the frying pan and melt the butter on a low heat, take off the heat and add the double cream with some bouillon and water and reduce the sauce until it thickens slightly. 
  • When the cauliflower is cooked, mash it with a potato masher, or pulse it in a food processor with the garlic, then add the spring onion and parmesan. 
  • Before you top the pie filling with the cauliflower mash the filling needs to be cold so that the cauliflower mash doesn't sink. 
  • Now you can put the pie in the oven until the pie is warmed through and the cauliflower mash has turned brown, or crisped slightly. 
And that's it, you can serve with any vegetables, salad, or even eat it on its own.

KetoStyle

No comments:

Post a Comment