Chocolate Dipped, Coconut Macaroons

Over the past few months I have seen people in the Keto/Paleo community going scatty for coconut macaroons, and it had me wondering what all the fuss was about – of course sugar is forbidden on both the Keto and Paleo diets so getting in a satisfying treat can be quite tricky, and I wasn’t entirely convinced that these coconut macaroons would do the job when I needed something sweet to eat. I tried coconut macaroons a few years ago and I wasn't very fussed on the taste, or texture – I wouldn't say I disliked them, they just simply didn’t appeal to me as much as – a chocolate bounty would. After deliberating whether these coconutty treats would be worth the effort and extra expense I decided to give a go, and if all else failed – the dog could enjoy them. 
Before heading off to the kitchen I did a quick Google search and was surprised to discover that coconut macaroons are in fact made from egg whites and again I deliberated whether these delights would be worth it – after all I’d never beaten an egg white before in my life, and I’d heard a few stories about how much work it is, and how it can often go wrong – but I figured I had the ingredients and the instructions seemed simple enough  - so I did it – and they worked perfectly. 

Ingredients 

These coconut macaroons were everything I wasn’t expecting - they were; chewy, moist and full of flavour – however, they could have done with a little extra sweetening, but other than that they were a good first effort. The best part about this whole recipe is that it wasn't at all difficult – not even whipping those egg whites, and it only took me about 30 mins to prepare and cook these delicious coconut macaroons – yes you heard right -30 minutes – which makes me extra happy that I went ahead and made the coconut macaroons, because now I have a quick backup if ever that sweet tooth catches me off guard. These coconut macaroons were so good, that even my fussy family members enjoyed them – one even went as far to say – “they were bloody lovely” – which did put a smile on my miserable face – another said – “they looked so real” – well yeah, that’s because they are – except without all the extra nasties that come along with pre-packaged, processed foods – which these coconut macaroons are most certainly not. Just see for yourself.
Chocolate Dipped, Coconut Macaroons

Yield - 8 Servings
Ingredients
  • 3 Egg whites – Organic, or Free range if you can
  • 180g – Desiccated Coconut
  • 35g – Coconut Oil
  •  1 tbls – Raw Cocoa Powder
  • 1 square Lindt Dark Chocolate  
  • Low Carb Sweetener
Instructions
  • Separate the egg whites from the yolks and place them in a clean, dry, glass bowl – set the yolks aside – you don’t need these.
  • Add some low carb sweetener and start whisking up a storm until those whites are nice stiff peaks– if you have an electric mixer feel free to use it.
  • Next fold the desiccated coconut into the egg whites and about 15g of melted coconut oil – you can melt the coconut oil in a bowl in the microwave, or in a pan.
  • Now the fun part – moulding the coconut into macaroons
  • You can either do this by simply rolling the mixture into little balls, or use an egg cup – this is the method I used.
  • When you have all your coconut macaroons place them on greaseproof paper and place them in an oven until the macaroons start turning a nice, golden brown – 15-20mins on a low heat – you don’t want them to burn.
  • When your coconut macaroons are done place them on a cooling rack and prepare the chocolate.
Plain Coconut Macaroons
Now, if you are happy with the macaroons plain, then you can skip this next part completely and just enjoy them as they are - their still delicious 


Birds Eye View of the Coconut Macaroons.
Dipping Chocolate 
  • Add the chocolate square to a glass, or tub, and place the container into a bowl, fill the bowl with boiling water and let the chocolate slowly melt. Do not fill the bowl, or container with boiling water first, as adding the glass will push the water out of the container and I wouldn't want you all to burn whilst re-creating my recipes.
Melting Chocolate 
  • In another bowl add the rest of the coconut oil and cocoa powder, and combine thoroughly.
  • You can now dip your coconut macaroons in the chocolate mixture and drizzle with the Lindt chocolate. – You could even melt more dark chocolate and dip your macaroons in to this instead of the coconut oil – I just found that the coconut oil gave the macaroons an extra coconut kick and I think it may be the reason why the coconut macaroons are still moist today -4 day later.
NB: If you stand your coconut macaroons up on their heads, all the chocolate coconut oil will run through the macaroons - mmm....
Coconut Macaroons freshly dipped and drizzled.
  • Place your coconut macaroons on a plate, or tub and then refrigerate until all the chocolate has solidified.
Birds Eye View of freshly drizzled and dipped Macaroons.

So that’s it – your macaroons are done and now all you have to do is eat them – in moderation of course - as these do have about 190 cals and 19g of fat.

Feel free to follow me on Instagram - just click on the little camera icon at the bottom of this post and it should take you straight to my page if you make one of my recipes –I would love to see your re-creations - just tag me on Instagram with my username and hash tag with the same name -also if you find my recipes interesting pin them to Pinterest until your heart is content, or leave a comment on the bottom of my page if you prefer - I would love to hear what you think.
Well, that’s all for now, stay tuned for more delicious recipes soon. 

KetoStyle

No comments:

Post a Comment